On October 15, our council held a wine and cheese social to celebrate a herculean accomplishment—the refurbishment of St. Isaac Jogues Prayer Garden!
The renewal of the garden was made possible with the excellent leadership of Jeff Dutka and the tireless efforts of Jeff and two dozen other volunteers (Knights and other parishioners). The effort took 17 days and an estimated 350 person hours and included:
- Pulling weeds from between all paver stones and all shrub and flower beds.
- Power washing all of the paver stones, rosary stepstones, entry sidewalk, statues, statue bases, and the sitting wall.
- Spreading mulch on all interior and perimeter shrub beds.
- Installing a new fountain pump and spray head.
- Scraping and painting the fountain pool.
- Installing solar powered pool lights.
- Planting mums around pool perimeter.
- Starting troubleshooting and identifying electrical circuit breakers.
- Cutting down seven dead trees and performing major pruning of remaining trees.
It was a stunning transformation and finished, as planned, in time for our special 9/11 Memorial Mass.
Thank you to Jeff and all those who participated.